Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
[email protected] lethaldriver@gmail.com is offline

Default TIG with Pulse feature

the TIG welding machine I'm planning to buy can be switched between AC
and DC, which gives it more flexibility in the metals it can weld.

Some welders told me that many people have problems with achieving
sufficient weld penetration with a MIG.

Most expert recommend TIG so I'm just following their advice.

On Aug 2, 9:39 am, Trevor Jones wrote:
wrote:
I am planning to build a tube chassis vehicle and I want to invest in
an AC/DC TIG welding machine.

The thing is, there also is a similar TIG welding machine with a Pulse
feature.

Is this feature necessary?

or do I just buy the AC/DC TIG without the pulse feature?

TIG isn't necessary (or it could be argued, appropriate) for what you
want to do.

Nice welds, if you have the skill, but overkill for doing a nice job
on fairly heavy tubing.
MIG for speed. Stick for cheap. TIG for neither of those. :-)

If you don't know whether the pulse is a requirement, you probably
don't need or want it.

Now, if you wanted to get into welding your own aluminum tube frame
bicycles together, pulse would be quite a handy thing to have, I think.

Cheers
Trevor Jones

(Who also want a TIG machine in his shop!)