Posted to alt.machines.cnc,rec.crafts.metalworking
Proctologically Violated©® Proctologically Violated©® is offline

Default Indexable turning tools, inserts, ekc..

Awl--

I'm starting to get involved with making low-end turning tools, and have a
few Qs regarding how people actually use them, and relative merits of
design.

For example, so far I've made simple left-hand cutting tools, with
triangular screw-type inserts, .600 vertex-to-vertex, about 1/8 thick.
Now I"m making boring bars with clamp-type triangular inserts.

I would think that for general cutting, square or even round (which I've
seen in use on huge "wheel truing" machines), would give the most bang for
one's cutting buck, in terms of overall usable cutting edges/points.
Generally speaking, of course, as certain shapes are better for certain
jobs--facing, threading, etc.
Do job shops use round inserts? Why/why not?

I'm also curious about clamping vs. screwing insert.
What are the pros/cons of these methods?
I would imagine the insert w/ a hole is more expensive, but the tool itself
is easier to make, and it seems that a thru-screw is more secure than a
clamp.
But mebbe holding power is less of an issue, than, say, in an
endmill/toolholder.

Thoughts?
--
------

Absolutely Vote, but NOT for a Democrat or a Republican.
Ending Corruption in Congress is the *Single Best Way*
to Materially Improve Your Family's Life.
The Solution is so simple--and inexpensive!

all d'numbuhs