Fitch R. Williams

Default OT - Lawn Tractors & Small farm tractors

"RogerN" wrote:

I'm trying to decide on just buying a used tractor, bush hog, & perhaps
finish mower or get lawn tractor now and tractor/bush hog later.

I don't know much about the "lawn tractor" gadgets from personal
experience. I had maybe 2,000 hours on one of the original Farmall Cubs
(with fast hitch, etc.) that was bought new in 1956. The original Cub
is built like a tank but its also only about 9 horsepower (although
those are 4 cylinder water cooled run about forever horsepower). Its a
4 cylinder flathead engine with a single throat updraft carb - not
unlike a mini Model A engine. At full song its only turning about 1,800
rpm so it should last and last, and it does. That said, I have trouble
recommending it for your situation. Its not enough machine.

I have a JD 770 (a Yanmar built to JD specifications) that I bought from
JD as a lease return from grape service. The lease return reduced the
price of the tractor by about $3K. I bought it with a rotary cutter on
the back and the quick attaching (literally less than 2 minutes to put
on or take off - you have to see it to believe it if you have wrestled
with the old style loaders) front loader. 20hp, 4WD, Diesel. If you go
to the small tractor discussion group, its a WEB page, you will find the
70 series John Deeres are essentially trouble free. This one sure has
been.

When I get to PA I'm planning to change it to turf tires, get it a belly
mower (that runs shaft drive off the center PTO), and maybe a backhoe -
it can mount the backhoe, center mower, and front loader at the same
time although it would be less than convenient to mow with all that
hanging off it. It already has a front end loader. I expect it to mow
the lawn, handle the landscaping chores, dig holes to plant trees or
bushes, and clear the driveway if it needs it. It will doubtless
outlast me even if I live another 40 years. Its basically bullet proof.

If you can find a used 70 series JD (they range from the 670 to the
1070) you will have a real work horse and you will be able to get parts
for it for decades.

My sister has a tractor looking Kubota riding mower - 21hp Diesel - that
has mowed about 7 acres for her for the last 7 years with about no
maintenance at all except oil changes every couple of years. Its
hydrostatic drive and near as I can tell about as reliable as gravity.
She got this after endless headaches with a Farmall Cub low boy, a
standard Cub (Cub Classic?), and a nearly endless collection of "lawn
tractors" that seldom lasted 2 years. The Kubota was purchased used.

She is lusting after a Kubota zero back swing Diesel mower based on how
well the existing Kubota has done. She and I tried out the zero back
swing mowers last summer - they are an E Ticket ride for sure. I'd love
one of those but I'll try to make do with the John Deere since I'll only
have to mow a couple of acres.

Fitch