Posted to alt.home.repair
Mark Lloyd Mark Lloyd is offline

Default Multimeters

On Tue, 31 Jul 2007 13:28:51 -0700, z wrote:

On Jul 30, 11:11 am, "T.J." wrote:
Hi I want to buy a new Multimeter and there are a few features that
currently I have no idea what they mean. Obviously I currently have no
idea for those features but I wondered if somebody can explain to me
what they are/do so maybe in the future I will need them.
1. Conductance
2. Motor Drive Measurement
3. Smoothing

sounds like some fancy meter;

conductance like everybody is telling you is 1/resistance. Most useful
when comparing like .000000000001 ohms with .00000000000002 ohms;

I suppose you'd use metric prefixes, like for any other small (or
large) numbers. Here you'd be using pico- and femto-.

i.e., i've never needed it in my life, but i guess if you're pumping
huge currents through big wires, it's important.

smoothing, i would guess is just a filter to keep the reading
steadier; digital multimeters are inferior to analog in your ability
to just eyeball an average number from a wobbling reading, so that
would be cool.

motor drive measurement, seems like nobody here knows and neither do
i.

I have worked with 4-phase stepper motors. I wonder if there's any
connection there.

you know what i would like, though it seems silly; something that
would speak the reading when i have both hands on the leads and can't
take my eye off things long enough to look at the meter.

How will it know when you want it to speak? If you couldn't get it to
shut up that feature could become really annoying.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

school classes." -- Ted Kennedy