Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob F Bob F is offline

Default how to fix plastic pipe leak near pool pump

wrote in message
On Wed, 01 Aug 2007 11:37:22 -0000, wrote:

The plastic pipe that comes up out of the pool pump has small leak at
the joint. Is the something I can get to put on the exterior that may
stop the leak?
Thanks

DO NOT try to cement the treaded coupling to the pump!
Cut the pipe in a straight part of the run, put teflon tape on a new
threaded adapter, run it into the pump outlet and put it back together
with a fernco repair coupling. (rubber hose with a metal collar)
Usually these things leak because the pump ran dry and got hot.
The fernco will allow you to fix it again without cutting pipe the
next time this happens.

Good points. Obviously, don't glue threaded joints, if that's where the leak is.
I would recommend PVC compatable pipe dope rather than the teflon tape - I've
had better joints with dope.

Bob