Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress Ed Huntress is offline

Default A question for the gun experts

"Randal O'Brian" wrote in message

"Ed Huntress" wrote in message

"Steve R." ***********@*************.*** wrote in message
news:5KPri.20970$rX4.502@pd7urf2no...

I used to use BB caps a bit. May still have some. They had a normal .22
bullet in a short case, but very little powder. 'Cause I took some apart
to find out!

Steve R.

They may have evolved over time. The last time I saw BB caps advertised
was around 1960. They were still round balls then. The ones my dad had,
which he must have bought around 1930, were round balls, too.

It appears that the former "CB cap" got re-named "CB short" somewhere
along the line, too.

--
Ed Huntress

That's because there is a "CB long" made by CCI and maybe others. It is a
long rifle case with a 29 gr. bullet loaded to the same velocity as the
regular CB cap. It was marketed to eliminate the problem of chamber
fouling caused by the short case preventing easy loading of long cases
after a session of firing regular CB caps (or CB shorts).

Randy

Aha! Yes, that's quite a long jump in a gun chambered for L.R. That's
something like the low-power rounds I load for my Ruger .32 H&R Magnum. I
use round balls and Red Dot, and fill the space with kapok.

--
Ed Huntress