Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
William Wixon William Wixon is offline

Default TIG with Pulse feature

wrote in message
ups.com...
I am planning to build a tube chassis vehicle and I want to invest in
an AC/DC TIG welding machine.

The thing is, there also is a similar TIG welding machine with a Pulse
feature.

Is this feature necessary?

or do I just buy the AC/DC TIG without the pulse feature?

ernie always says the thermal arc 185 is the best value. i wish i bought it
instead of the lincoln i got (squarewave tig 175), though, i'm satisfied
with the lincoln but it weighs over 200 pounds, would be nice to have the
capability to EASILY transport it. i'm not an expert here, just putting in
my $.02. from what i gather you can make serviceable welds w/o the pulse
feature (and save yourself some money not buying the pulser) but i think the
pulser allows you to more easily make prettier welds (stack of dimes bead).
oh, was going to ask if you are subscribe to sci.engr.joining.welding but i
see you are. ernie is generally regarded as the resident uber-guru, if you
ever expect to get any welding advice on these lists in the future (which
you inevitably will). :-) you'd better beg forgiveness, he's a font of
invaluable free information and advice, (and is well regarded amongst the
other denizens on these lists)

b.w.