Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ignoramus5693 Ignoramus5693 is offline

Default Have you ever needed to machine copper

On Wed, 01 Aug 2007 08:30:49 -0700, Grant Erwin wrote:
Ignoramus5693 wrote:
I have a copper bar that I am deciding whether to keep it (1x2x15"). I
cannot think of any hobby style need that would involve a copper bar
like that. I have other bars that are more practicable, like
0.25x2x15, etc, these are quite useful for all sorts of things, such
as in my welder conversion, etc. But I cannot see any need for making
parts from big thick copper bars. Aluminum would always be cheaper,
have good electrical and thermal properties, and easier to machine.

One thing a big solid chunk of copper is good for is balling tungstens for
use in welding aluminum. In fact, I would love to have a chunk of that bar
two inches long if you ever decide to saw it up.

Grant, I thought one could ball tungstens with just a piece of scrap
iron. I will let you know if I ever cut it up.

An old machinist once told me that if you do have to machine copper the
cutting fluid you want to us - really, this isn't a gag - is milk! I think
he suggested a can of evaporated milk.

Sounds yucky, the work would smell rather bad in a few days. (don't
ask me how I know)