Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Grant Erwin Grant Erwin is offline

Default Have you ever needed to machine copper

Ignoramus5693 wrote:
I have a copper bar that I am deciding whether to keep it (1x2x15"). I
cannot think of any hobby style need that would involve a copper bar
like that. I have other bars that are more practicable, like
0.25x2x15, etc, these are quite useful for all sorts of things, such
as in my welder conversion, etc. But I cannot see any need for making
parts from big thick copper bars. Aluminum would always be cheaper,
have good electrical and thermal properties, and easier to machine.

One thing a big solid chunk of copper is good for is balling tungstens for
use in welding aluminum. In fact, I would love to have a chunk of that bar
two inches long if you ever decide to saw it up.

An old machinist once told me that if you do have to machine copper the
cutting fluid you want to us - really, this isn't a gag - is milk! I think
he suggested a can of evaporated milk.

Grant