Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress Ed Huntress is offline

Default Have you ever needed to machine copper

(I think I screwed up the original reply and sent it just to Lloyd. Hey, I'm
rusty...)

"Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" wrote in message
.. .
"Ed Huntress" wrote in message
One suggestion: don't anneal it until after you machine it, whatever you
do. You will pay for it in utter misery.

I was involved in machining 2000 cylindrical electrical connectors,
1-1/4" diameter and 3" long, once upon a time. The harder the copper is,
the better.

I'll remember that. Maybe even harden a piece before I work it. In this
case, it was "run whut you brung". I got a stick of whatever the metal
shop had, and didn't think to harden it before working it.

"Razor-sharp chewing gum" comes to mind.

LLoyd

Sharp chewing gum it is. g

However, I don't know how you'd harden the copper, unless it was some alloy
that can be heat treated or whatever. Pure copper, and most alloys, can only
be work-hardened. Their hardest state usually is the condition they come in,
right from the mill. The trick is to leave them in that state.

--
Ed Huntress