Posted to uk.d-i-y
Derek Geldard Derek Geldard is offline

Default Zircon scanners/sensors (was Over-sensitive cable detector)

On Wed, 01 Aug 2007 17:19:43 +0100, Owain
wrote:

Andy Hall wrote:
HD sells contractors' calculators that perform arithmetic on 32nds and
so on. Such is the ridiculous extent of non-decimal measurement.

I don't see why adding up in 32nds is any more difficult than adding up
in 10ths, unless someone is arithmetically retarded. If one converts to
binary one can do it comfortably on the fingers and still have several
digits left for whole units.

The first machines I worked on outputed in 6 digit 2* 421 BCD ( Why?)

Later machines I worked on output-ed in 6 digit 8421 BCD

After that I used to debug "Digital" (DEC) 8 bit computers in octal,
that was very easy.

But, I never did come to terms with Hexadecimal. So IGWS that mental
manipulation of 32 bit words would be out of the question.

Maybe with practice I could do mental 32 bit arithmetic as 4x8 bit
manipulations in quad precision, but TBH a bit OTT Eg. for measuring a
Ca. 1974 roof tile on top of a ladder to source a replacement.

Certainly the case for the average trailer park Yank. Just as well I
suppose that he wouldn't have any roof tiles.

As regards fractional units of measurement the system we had in the UK
worked perfectly well because we also had a monetary system which was
based on fractions, the kids were rigourously taught both at school
(So obviously that wouldn't work now). We had absolutely no problem..

All our grandparents who left school at age 12 or 14 had no difficulty
whatsoever in counting their money, or buying 2 +1/2 ounces of corned
beef at one and six pence per ounce USW. Without being ripped off.

The answer is "Three and ninepence" BTW.

Still the most efficient way to pack 10 bottles of wine, is to make a
case for twelve and leave 2 spaces empty, of course this weakens the
package.

BTW, I know very well that 32 bits and 32nds of an inch, (or an
elephant) don't compare , but YSWIM. ;-)

DG