Posted to uk.d-i-y
Keith Dunbar Keith Dunbar is offline

Default Loft insulation

wrote in message
oups.com...
On 30 Jul, 19:37, "Keith Dunbar" wrote:
Part of our previously mentioned 17th century Norfolk cottage is a much
more
recently built single storey annexe. It has a steeply pitched roof (to
match the rest of the property) and access to this roof space by a small
door in one of the bedrooms. It is wonderful storage space.

The floor timbers are standard 4" x 2" with the standard (then) 4" of
glassfibre insulation. It is loosely floored with moderately thin, but
adequate planks (the previous owner worked for Boulton and Paul and seems
have access to an inexhaustible supply of timber).

I want to screw down these planks and make the floor more stable - but -
what should I do for insulation? Do I raise each floor timber so I can
put
say 2" more insulation under the floor? Do I cram in 2" more insulation
the existing space? How should this situation be approached - given that
funds are quite tight and I'm not really looking to spend much. I
suspect
some sort of compromise will be the answer - but what?

TIA

Keith

Dear Keith
Have you considered that 4" joinst as ceiling joists may be adequate
but as floor joists particularly storage will not be? If the span is
much more than about 10 foot you are risking deformation unless all
you are storing is light boxing.
If it is heavy storage you will need to put in stronger joists of
deeper section to avoid defection
if you just want to insulatate - the suggestions made to date are
fine.
Chris

Don't the trusses that I tried to depict in an earlier post support the
ceiling/floor joists - aren't they effectively hanging from them?

Keith