Posted to alt.home.repair
jmagerl jmagerl is offline

Default What's .001 uufd ?

You have a mica capacitor. THe dots are the color code for its value.
Unfortunately I have long forgotten how to read it.
http://www.tpub.com/neets/book2/3f.htm
http://www.tpub.com/neets/book2/3g.htm

The speaker is an electrodynamic speaker and derives its magnetic field from
an electromagnet. If I remember right the coil is usually part of the power
supply filter network (combined with that filter capacitor that is leaking).
THis was in the days before they had powerful fixed magnets
http://radioremembered.org/edspeaker.htm

As someone has already said, the electrolytic can be replaced with
individual aluminum electrolytics of the right value and voltage. You can go
high in voltage but not lower. You might try these sources:
http://www.allelectronics.com/index.html
http://safe.dhwd.com/cgi-bin/debco/index.html
http://www.mcmelectronics.com/
http://www.mouser.com/index.cfm?handler=home

wrote in message
I'm trying to fix this antique black and white tv.
There's a part in the tv that says .001 uufd on it. On the other side
it looks like a domino with 6 colored dots. The dots are different
colors, the thing is rectangular with a wire on each end. It is about
1 inch long a half inch wide and 1/8 inch thick. Flat package. I
know it's not a chip or power transistor becaue this is a tube tv set.
It dont look like a resistor. Capacitors are usually labelled MFD
(microfarad). What the heck is uufd?

These antique electronics sure have some weird parts, even though they
are built like army tanks.
I wish I had a tube tester....... They all light up !

Another thing. I notice corrosion around one of the filter caps. I
bet it's leaking. It's a metal can about 4 inches tall, 1.5 inches in
diameter, and it has 3 leads on the bottom. (3 caps in one can)
It reads:
80mfd 600v
10mfd 450v
40mfd 450v
Where can I get a replacement?

I get nothing on the screen, but there is a loud hum coming from the
speaker, which happens to be a the weirdest speaker I ever saw. It's
got a coil where there would normally be a magnet and an extra set of
wires going to the chassis. No parts look burned.