Tom

Default OT - Lawn Tractors & Small farm tractors

If your 4-1/2 acres is wide open and unobstructed enough to run a tractor with
a finish mower, or belly mower, that would be the "tits" way to go. With that
much to mow it's really the only way.

Problem:
The Crapsman stuff is designed for residential lawns just barely too large to
mow with a push mower, or even small enough to mow with a push mower if your too
lazy to push. The smaller ones are designed for 1/2acre to 1 acre lots, the
larger ones are designed for 1+ acres, but probably no more that 2ish. In this
type of use they will last for many years and not have too many problems,
assuming the yard is at least somewhat manicured and smooth.
The particular motor brand that you select in these machines is a non issue as
the day will literally come that the motor runs off across the yard leaving you
sitting in a pile that used to be your mower. In other words, the engine will
normally FAR outlast the mower. The frame and axles will be beat into submission
long before the motor dies.

Next step up would be some of the heavier machines of the "garden tractor"
variety, preferably a John Deere or Cub Cadet. These are MUCH higher qulaity,
unfortunately they are also MUCH more expensive. They will mow several acres
weekly for many years with no problems, you will go through several engines
before you kill the tractor. One thing you could do is buy one of the older ones
that will make through this year and then make a winter project of sprucing it
up a bit, rebuilding the tired areas.
Yes, these machines will wear eventually, but they can be rebuilt almost
indefinately.
In camparison to the bargian basement stuff they actually have bearings instead
of bushings, cast iron instead of sheetmetal. They are fixable when they break.
I had a Cub Cadet that was built in 1963, there was not a wear item on the
machine that couldn't be bought at the dealer. Try buying parts for a 10 year
old Crapsman.

I think you get the idea.............

Tom

RogerN wrote:

I recently purchased a home a few miles out of town with ~4-1/2 acres and
it's getting time to mow some grass. There is approximately 1-1/2 acres for
the yard and another 3 acres of brush & small trees. I recently bought a
backhoe for the brush cleanup but haven't decided what to do about the
mowing yet. One idea is to get a lawn tractor for the lawn and later on
come up with a tractor & bush hog for the field. I've been looking at Sears
lawn tractors at the local store. They have one with Automatic
transmission, 17.5hp Kohler, cast iron axle, for $1399. There is a similar
unit with a Briggs engine for around the same price. They also have some
higher priced mowers with ~25hp engines for $2100 to ~$2500. What I don't
like about the larger tractors is that it would probably be more difficult
cutting around trees & bushes with the larger turning radius and all.

I'm trying to decide on just buying a used tractor, bush hog, & perhaps
finish mower or get lawn tractor now and tractor/bush hog later.

Also, if I get a lawn tractor, should I get one with a Kohler or Briggs
engine? Is the Craftsman mowers a good value or is there something better I
should look at?

Thanks for any helpful advice!