Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Mark F Mark F is offline

Default Have you ever needed to machine copper

What's wrong with you? I am unable to conceive of why anyone
in their right mind would even consider letting a piece of ANY
metal larger than a cubic inch, out of their clutches.
Excuse me, have to go, just heard a bunch of noise from the
garage, where I think a shelf collapsed....

/mark

Ignoramus5693 wrote:
I have a copper bar that I am deciding whether to keep it (1x2x15"). I
cannot think of any hobby style need that would involve a copper bar
like that. I have other bars that are more practicable, like
0.25x2x15, etc, these are quite useful for all sorts of things, such
as in my welder conversion, etc. But I cannot see any need for making
parts from big thick copper bars. Aluminum would always be cheaper,
have good electrical and thermal properties, and easier to machine.

Is that, in fact, true?