Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ignoramus5693 Ignoramus5693 is offline

Default Have you ever needed to machine copper

On Wed, 1 Aug 2007 10:17:31 -0400, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh wrote:
I would hang on to it. I have the occasional need to make bus-bar "bugs",
and other high-current connectors and contacts.

Last year, I had to make all new rheostat studs for my very (very) old EZ-GO
golf cart. They'd discontinued the part.

Nothin' for it but copper rod, lathe time, and some frustration getting my
rake angles right.

(single-point threading of copper is a pain in the ass!)

That stuff that you made, you could not make out of 1/4" copper bar,
is that true?

I did find several occasions where a big 1/4" thick copper bar was
useful, indeed.

I think that I will agree with you and hang on to this bar.