Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
JR North JR North is offline

Default replacing bearings on small trailer hubs?

Heat the race with a propane torch. Get behind the race with a sharp air
hammer flat chisel bit. Follow with a blunt, wider chisel. Once you have
it out some, pull it with a 2 jaw puller.
JR
Dweller in the cellar

Grant Erwin wrote:
I have a 5x10' utility trailer which I overloaded foolishly the other day,
carrying fill dirt. We emptied it, and the next time I pulled the
trailer, empty, it didn't pull correctly. It hopped, chirped, and went
'tick tick tick'.

Home it came and today I pulled off the hubs, expecting to see a cracked
inner bearing race. I actually don't see any damage at all, but now that
I've got them off, I may as well replace the bearings and seals.

I'm having trouble pulling the inner bearing races. Is there a trick?

Grant

Dependence is Vulnerability:
"Open the Pod Bay Doors please, Hal"