Posted to uk.d-i-y
Bob Mannix Bob Mannix is offline

Default Top-Down Extension - How Long?

"Rick" wrote in message
ups.com...
On 31 Jul, 21:56, Tyler wrote:
On 31 Jul, 08:32, "Bob Mannix" wrote:

"Tyler" wrote in message

roups.com...

I'm considering putting a side extension onto the house (a top and
bottom one). It'll be 12ft wide and 27 ft long. Approx how long
could/
should it take to complete? How many people should there be employed/
working on such a project?

I take it your next posted question will be "how long is a piece of
string?"
)

It's a bit of a silly question and begs the silly answer that it will
take
longer than you think and the builder will employ as many as it takes.
Even
with a good builder you will have to leave it up to him, he won't start
when
he says he will and unforseen problems will make it take longer. Never
bank
on a finish time is the golden rule. If it's a side extension you will
need
planning permission as well as building regs approval which means
someone to
draw up the plans and time for the planning process. If you get a crap
builder he might be able to start straight away. Asuuming you find a
decent
one through personal recommendation (and depending on the area), you
may
have a long lead time. For an extension of that size you could be
looking at
a very small outfit of 4-5 people or a larger one of up 8-10 working on
it
at one time or another. Some may only attend for a short time as subs
(eg
electrician, roofer) and some will attend as required (chippy). If you
start
the process now, you may get actual building started before Christmas
(assuming you go the decent builder route).

--
Bob Mannix
(anti-spam is as easy as 1-2-3 - not)

Thanks, very helpful. I I have a garage next to the house with a 3 ft
wide path so I was just considering attaching to the house but a
couple people think I should get the top/ down extension and I'm
hoping it'll be around 65k though not had a quote yet. Anyway, I'll
definitely look into it!- Hide quoted text -

guess it out at arround 1000-1200 per m2 of new floor space, and you
will be in the ball park, unless you go stupid with expensive
finichies and fancy work.

3-4 years ago I had an 2 storey (1 dry room upstairs and 1 dry room
downstairs) extension built. Probably 12m2 up and down, making 25m2 in
total.

I had 3 quotes for the identical work for the shell plus electrics and
plumbing (windows extra). £25k, £35k and £45k!

Fortunately, the only one with a personal recommendation was the £25k one
and he did an excellent job. I suppose the windows, wood floor and the DIY
internals were another £10k (5+3+2k).

Add 20% for inflation to get todays prices and I was in Oxfordshire.