Posted to alt.home.repair
jacko jacko is offline

Default Lawm mower stalls

If it ran faster just before it died , it may be an indication that it is
being starved of fuel. Most small engines will rev. somewhat when they run
out of fuel. Is there a fuel filter to check? Is there dirt getting into the
needle valve? Is the float sticking closed? Is the carburetor dirty? Is
there water or dirt in the tank?
wrote in message
ups.com...
I have an MTD, self propelled lawm mower with a 5.5 HP Briggs and
Stratton engine. Over the last several weeks, it has developed a
problem where it starts right up, runs for about 20 minutes and
stops. Sometimes it coughs and sputters for awhile before stalling,
other times it's as if it was turned off. There have been times it's
done that and would restart, other times, I have to wait until the
next day.
I have checked the air filter, checked the gas line, and checked the
spark plug cable. What I haven't done is replaced the spark plug.
If this helps, I thought it started moving alot faster about the time
it happened but for the life of me, I can't see how that would be
connected to the problem.