Rex B

Default OT - Lawn Tractors & Small farm tractors

On Tue, 13 Apr 2004 23:54:34 GMT, "Vaughn"

||"Jim Stewart" wrote in message
||news || RogerN wrote:
|| I think that a lot depends on how good of a job
|| you want to do. I've watched my brother tend his
|| orchard and cut the grass under the trees with
|| a full-sized tractor and mowing attachment. It
|| did a surprisingly good job and he was *fast*
|| with it.
|| I'll admit to knowing little about tractors, but I find myself thinking
||"Farmall Cub".
||The below is from: http://www.ytmag.com/profiles/cubprof.htm
||The Farmall Cub Today
||Today the Farmall Cub is still extremely popular - for many of the same
reasons
||it was popular 50 years ago. One of the advantages of this popularity is: if
you
||own one, you enjoy a ready supply of new after-market (replacement) parts.
||One of the most popular uses of this tractor today is for mowing large lawns
or
||golf courses with a belly mower attached. New after-factory belly mowers are
||available from Woods brand equipment dealers. There are also 3-point hitch
kits
||available for these tractors which makes it possible to use many of todays
||popular 3-point implements. You do need to consider the horsepower of the
||tractor before using a modern implement and make sure that it is rated for the
||small size of the Cub.
||Many of these tractors are also still in use by gardeners with a large
vegetable
||patch. The Cultivision setup simply can't be beat for cultivating rows of
tender
||young vegetables.
||You'll find quite a few Farmall Cubs restored and parade-ready. You can always
||find at least one at an Antique Tractor Show with it's proud owner standing
by.
||They are not rare machines by any means. But due to their continued popularity
||they can command a pretty high purchase price. Be prepared to pay anywhere
from
||$1000.00 to $3500.00 for a running tractor, depending upon condition and
||available implements.

I'll second that. In fact, I have a 1970-ish Farm Cub LowBoy for sale in the
Dallas TX area. It's been restored, but has no mower or other implements. Pay
me $1300 for my tractor and buy a $1200 Woods 60" mower and you have a very nice
commercial-grade mowing machine.
Rex in Fort Worth