Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default Multimeters

On Tue, 31 Jul 2007 15:24:31 -0500, bud--
wrote:

jmagerl wrote:

One of the great pieces of scientific humor was the units for
conductance as mho, with a symbol of an upside down omega [ohms symbol].

It has been ruined. I believe conductance is now Siemens. Who the hell
ever heard of Siemens. I was depressed for weeks.

I only heard about this just now, but I'm going to continue to call
them mhos. Just like I call the stadiums in Baltimore by Oriole Park
and Ravens Stadium. Even though iiuc they never had those names, and
the previous baseball stadium was called Memorial Stadium**. Same
thing for other cities.

**Even though they never said what it was a memorial too and if you
entered by the sides and never looked at the end, you'd never know.
At least one could find out by looking. I had to call Union Memorial
Hospital to find out what it was a memorial to. The Union?

I'm not bound by their rules. And I'm also not bound to learn new
names when other people want new names.

I also call the inverse of a volt a larry and the inverse of an amp a
curlie.

And Pluto is the ninth planet from the sun. If there are hundreds of
others that big that don't get noticed, a) I don't know that, and b)
it's their problem.