Posted to alt.electronics,sci.electronics.repair
Joy Joy is offline

Default Looking for cheap, portable phone tone generator

On Tue, 31 Jul 2007 17:47:53 -0400, Stephen J. Rush
wrote:

On Tue, 31 Jul 2007 20:37:13 +0000, Joy wrote:

Does anyone know where I could buy a cheap DTMF tone generator?
I think that's what they are called. They used to be used to enter touch
tone phone sounds into the receivers of dial pay phones so you could
access your answering machine.

I know someone who only has rotary phones (she claims they are the only
ones that work with her hearing aids) and is moving to a place where the
main door can be remotely opened by pressing a key on her phone. Since
she doesn't have a touch tone phone, I thought a portable tone
generator might work. Radio Shack doesn't carry them and I don't know
where else to look.

The first generation of electronic phones didn't play well with
inductive-coupled hearing aids, but the newer ones do, especially if you
buy one of the major brands. Your friend should go shopping for a new
phone. With rotary phones practically extinct, I doubt that anyone still
sells portable DTMF keypads.

Thank you for that information. I'm sure you are correct. But the dial
phones she owns also has a built-in amplifier in the handset which is
QUITE loud. I haven't seen normal phones that loud even with volume
controls.

Thanks. Unless I find a cheap dialer, I'm thinking my idea of an old
cordless phone may work.

Joy