Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Snag Snag is offline

Default replacing bearings on small trailer hubs?

Grant Erwin wrote:
I have a 5x10' utility trailer which I overloaded foolishly the other
day, carrying fill dirt. We emptied it, and the next time I pulled
the trailer, empty, it didn't pull correctly. It hopped, chirped, and
went 'tick tick tick'.
Home it came and today I pulled off the hubs, expecting to see a
cracked inner bearing race. I actually don't see any damage at all,
but now that I've got them off, I may as well replace the bearings
and seals.
I'm having trouble pulling the inner bearing races. Is there a trick?

Grant

I assume from the way you worded that , you mean the race on the spindle ?
Split ring puller in that case , but usually that means the rollers are
there too . Dremel the cage off , score the race deeply (at an angle to the
spindle) and whacking it with a hammer and chisel almost always works . If
you're talking about the inboard bearing/outer race in the wheel , run a
bead of MIG or stick weld around the inside . Should all but fall out . I
use this trick on aluminum motorcycle wheels . You weren't going to re-use
it anyway ...

--

Snag aka OSG #1
'90 Ultra , "Strider"