Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
F. George McDuffee F. George McDuffee is offline

Default General Motors Mistake

On Tue, 31 Jul 2007 23:09:27 GMT, Erik wrote:

Hi all,

General Motors, builders of vehicle shaped objects that still include
limited metal content have really embarrassed themselves with this
one... absolutely beyond belief.

http://digg.com/environment/General_..._Rush_Limbaugh
_Eco_Friendly_Ad

Sorry about the long link, the tinyurl link below points to the same
'digg' listing.

http://preview.tinyurl.com/2n5wkk

Erik

=========
In one respect you are correct.

It does not appear the Rush makes any claims, but I know that he
and his shows are expensive.

This makes me question the sanity of GMC's management in that
they turned a profit and are again blowing the money on fru-fru
juice rather than paying down debt, funding pensions, developing
new vehicles [and correcting old problems] and as a last resort,
paying dividends.
click on
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070731/...L_MrA0GzuyBhIF

It is also not clear if this was what you and I would call a
profit as in "show me the money," or if it is more Enron
accounting, i.e. trading the dog that is on the books for 10,000$
for two cats "worth" 6,000$ each and booking a 2,000$ profit.

The falling US dollar and the fact that the earnings were mainly
generated over-seas indicates these may be more currency
speculation than manufacturing "profits." FWIW -- GMC pays no US
corporate tax on foreign "profits" until that money is
repatriated to the domestic corporation, while sucking hard on
the US tit, and evading 100% pension funding.

Unka' George [George McDuffee]
Merchants have no country.
The mere spot they stand on
does not constitute so strong an attachment
as that from which they draw their gains.

Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826),
U.S. president. Letter, 17 March 1814.