Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Wayne Cook Wayne Cook is offline

Default replacing bearings on small trailer hubs?

On Tue, 31 Jul 2007 13:52:08 -0700, Grant Erwin
wrote:

I have a 5x10' utility trailer which I overloaded foolishly the other day,
carrying fill dirt. We emptied it, and the next time I pulled the trailer,
empty, it didn't pull correctly. It hopped, chirped, and went 'tick tick tick'.

Home it came and today I pulled off the hubs, expecting to see a cracked inner
bearing race. I actually don't see any damage at all, but now that I've got them
off, I may as well replace the bearings and seals.

I'm having trouble pulling the inner bearing races. Is there a trick?

Usually just a simple piece of shaft will allow hammering on an
exposed lip. Just move from one side to the other to work it out.
However a simple trick is to weld a bead on the inside of the race. If
you do it right the race will simply fall out when cooled.