Jeridiah

Default OT - Lawn Tractors & Small farm tractors

I'll admit to knowing little about tractors, but I find myself thinking
"Farmall Cub".

Many of these tractors are also still in use by gardeners with a large vegetable
patch. The Cultivision setup simply can't be beat for cultivating rows of tender
young vegetables.

If you can find one this is a pretty good setup. We have a Farmall B
with a 6' Woods belly deck. The thing can mow down about anything.
The tractor itself is nearly bulletproof, but if you do break
something parts are available. The deck is built out of heavy steel
plate with three overlapping blades. The blade shafts are in heavy
bearings and with decent lube maintenance will last forever.

I have a Schweiss Zero Turn now that the wife likes to use more, but
if I am mowing I have to think about which one I want to use. The ZT
is way more maneuverable, but it just can't climb ditch banks and mow
down heavy weeds/brush like the B can.

They are both about the same rated HP, but the B has a lot more torque
and low end power.

Can generally be found for around $3000 w/ the deck on them. If you
don't have to many trees to mow around the B is hands down the way to
go. If you can mow in a pattern you can get around the trees without
wasting lots of time. With a 6' deck you take a heck of a swath out
of the lawn at a time. W/ lots of trees, maybe look at the B and a
push mower for trim work or find a used commericial ZT that a
municipality is upgrading. Depends on your budget and level of AR.

I bought mine from a trade-in that a local municipality had done to
upgrade. It was due for upgrade based on budgets, not because it was
worn out. I have seen this several times.

JW