Posted to alt.home.repair
z z is offline

Default Multimeters

On Jul 30, 11:11 am, "T.J." wrote:
Hi I want to buy a new Multimeter and there are a few features that
currently I have no idea what they mean. Obviously I currently have no
idea for those features but I wondered if somebody can explain to me
what they are/do so maybe in the future I will need them.
1. Conductance
2. Motor Drive Measurement
3. Smoothing

sounds like some fancy meter;

conductance like everybody is telling you is 1/resistance. Most useful
when comparing like .000000000001 ohms with .00000000000002 ohms;
i.e., i've never needed it in my life, but i guess if you're pumping
huge currents through big wires, it's important.

smoothing, i would guess is just a filter to keep the reading
steadier; digital multimeters are inferior to analog in your ability
to just eyeball an average number from a wobbling reading, so that
would be cool.

motor drive measurement, seems like nobody here knows and neither do
i.

you know what i would like, though it seems silly; something that
would speak the reading when i have both hands on the leads and can't
take my eye off things long enough to look at the meter.