Posted to alt.home.repair
Marilyn & Bob Marilyn & Bob is offline

Default Buderus vs. Weil-McLain boiler, and expansion tank question

"Pete C." wrote in message
Paul Flansburg wrote:

On Jul 31, 9:51 am, mapleman wrote:
I have a 50 year old, 1100 sq foot ranch house, with about 70 feet of
baseboard hot water radiators. Our boiler has failed and needs to be
replaced. Glad that I can deal with this in the summer and not have
an emergency situation in winter. I live in SE Wisconsin.

snip

Pete C.

As for the issue with the expansion tank, take the one with the
bladder. If they fail, which I have never seen, they are very
inexpesnsive and a DIYer can change it. To determine if the bladder
has failed, feel the bottom of the tank. It should be cool when
working and HOT when failed. To change it out, take the pressure out
of the system and unscrew. Then screw in the new one. The tanks come
precharged so you don't have to screw around with them.

-paul

When we had a new boiler put in, which came with a bladder expansion tank, I
asked the plumber to leave the old expansion tank and install the new one as
well. Don't see what the down side is to this.
--
Peace,
BobJ