Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
mac davis mac davis is offline

Default Lathe abuse?

On Mon, 30 Jul 2007 21:39:30 GMT, "Maxprop" wrote:

I limit the time below the bottom detent as well, Mac. I've watched the
pulleys in that configuration, and have concluded it probably is putting
strain on the system. Like you, however, I'll continue the practice until
something breaks.

Max

Max... Since this thread started, I've been running the lathe with the cover off
and watching the pulleys during turnings....
It would appear to these old eyes that when I run it under the low speed detent,
the belt isn't true in it's alignment with the motor pulley...

Might be my lathe or the pulley, but when running at most speeds, the belt is
centered in the middle of both pulleys, but when at "sub low" speed, the belt
appears slightly off to the left..

I just bid on an order for 200 pens... I really don't want to become a pen
factory, but the money COULD go for a Nova with digital speed... *eg*

It would also give my youngest stepson something to do besides sleep.. he's here
for a month or so...
He's 25 and the average age here is probably 70 or so... nobody here his age and
he's pretty bored..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing