Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Eric R Snow Eric R Snow is offline

Default A question for the gun experts

On Tue, 31 Jul 2007 10:45:05 -0500, Louis Ohland
wrote:

Are you referring to the "BB cap" round?

Eric R Snow wrote:
On Mon, 30 Jul 2007 23:37:02 -0700, "Roger Shoaf"
wrote:

Assume one were to take a .357 revolver and load it with shells that were
reloaded with a primer only and without any powder.

How far would the bullet get, only propelled by the primer charge?

If it makes a difference let's assume that the bullets are standard lead
round nose (no metal jacket.

Greetings Roger,
I shoot .22 ammo that is primered only. No powder. It is for pistols
only and the bullet is much smaller than a .22 short bullet. I do
shoot these out of a pistol but also an 80 year old rifle that has had
a lot of lead go through it. The old rifle is worn enough that these
rounds work well in it. I did try one in a fairly new bolt action
rifle and the bullet didn't exit the barrel. It was about 2 inches
from the end and just fell out when pushed with an aluminum rod. I
know that if I tried shooting a regular bullet propelled by only the
primer it would get stuck. I imagine that a .357 would be even more
likely to get stuck.
ERS

Greetings Louis,
The rounds I'm talking about are neither the BB cap or CB short
rounds. I do shoot CB shorts from time to time but the rounds I'm
talking about are even slower and are made by Aguila. The box has
printed on the front of it "Super Colibri Sans Poudre". On the side it
has printed "no gunpowder". The bullet weighs 20 grains.
ERS