Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Primer strength in various calibers?

On Tue, 31 Jul 2007 08:47:44 -0700, Eric R Snow
wrote:

Greetings Gundamentalists,
Roger's question about a primer only load has me wondering about
primer strength. In a .22 round there is not much primer. But it's job
is to ignite the powder. When using larger caliber rounds with larger
amounts of powder do primer loads increase at the same ratio? In other
words, if twice as much powder is used, is twice as much primer load
also used? Just curious really since I only shoot .22s
Thanks,
Eric

No. Once the fire is started..it self sustaining until all the powder
is consumed.

Only on large cases with hard to start powders are more powerful
(magnum) primers used.

Gunner