Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Louis Ohland Louis Ohland is offline

Default A question for the gun experts

Are you referring to the "BB cap" round?

Eric R Snow wrote:
On Mon, 30 Jul 2007 23:37:02 -0700, "Roger Shoaf"
wrote:

Assume one were to take a .357 revolver and load it with shells that were
reloaded with a primer only and without any powder.

How far would the bullet get, only propelled by the primer charge?

If it makes a difference let's assume that the bullets are standard lead
round nose (no metal jacket.

Greetings Roger,
I shoot .22 ammo that is primered only. No powder. It is for pistols
only and the bullet is much smaller than a .22 short bullet. I do
shoot these out of a pistol but also an 80 year old rifle that has had
a lot of lead go through it. The old rifle is worn enough that these
rounds work well in it. I did try one in a fairly new bolt action
rifle and the bullet didn't exit the barrel. It was about 2 inches
from the end and just fell out when pushed with an aluminum rod. I
know that if I tried shooting a regular bullet propelled by only the
primer it would get stuck. I imagine that a .357 would be even more
likely to get stuck.
ERS