Posted to alt.home.repair
Moe Jones Moe Jones is offline

Default Air Conditioning Question

PCGumshoe wrote:
I live in Florida, so it is very humid and between 80-94 degrees daily
during the summer.

When I first moved into my home, I would set the AC to 72, then 74. I
noticed it kept running and running never getting cool enough. I
called my home warranty company and they sent out an A/C tech and he
said it was all working fine and the size was appropriate for the
house. He said it was less than 5 years old.

Now, I keep the A/C at 80 during the day and 78 when I sleep. I've
installed a ceiling fan in the bedroom and I seem to be able to sleep
better at this temperature. However, I notice now when it is 80
degrees outside (at night) and I have the temperature set at 80 or 78,
it seems like the A/C is working all the time.

Is there something else I can do to improve the efficiency of my A/C?
I seem to have to change the Air Filters (that claim to be 30-90 days)
in less than 30 days.

I know I need to get rid of my windows and put in new ones, but I've
tried to insulate my doors and windows better for now. but I can't
understand the attempt to lower the temperature 1 to 3 degrees and it
taking so long.

You might want to spend the extra money and hire another A/C company to go
out to your home and have them double check your system. Tell them you have
had the system check and they found nothing wrong. This way the service
tech. knows that someone has already checked the most common parts of the
system. Heck it could be loose or disconnected duct work in the attic, your
attic is not vented properly to relief the build up heat or could be a
number of things.

To have them check your system should take a hour to two hours to complete
an inspection.

Now one thing you can do is take the temperature at the return air opening,
the filter grill, and then take the temperature at the closest supply air
opening and see if the temperature difference is around 20 degrees.

--
Moe Jones
HVAC Service Technician