Posted to alt.home.repair
sophiesdad sophiesdad is offline

Default Air Conditioning Question

On Jul 31, 6:12 am, PCGumshoe wrote:
I live in Florida, so it is very humid and between 80-94 degrees daily
during the summer.

When I first moved into my home, I would set the AC to 72, then 74. I
noticed it kept running and running never getting cool enough. I
called my home warranty company and they sent out an A/C tech and he
said it was all working fine and the size was appropriate for the
house. He said it was less than 5 years old.

Now, I keep the A/C at 80 during the day and 78 when I sleep. I've
installed a ceiling fan in the bedroom and I seem to be able to sleep
better at this temperature. However, I notice now when it is 80
degrees outside (at night) and I have the temperature set at 80 or 78,
it seems like the A/C is working all the time.

Is there something else I can do to improve the efficiency of my A/C?
I seem to have to change the Air Filters (that claim to be 30-90 days)
in less than 30 days.

I know I need to get rid of my windows and put in new ones, but I've
tried to insulate my doors and windows better for now. but I can't
understand the attempt to lower the temperature 1 to 3 degrees and it
taking so long.

When we first purchased our house we asked a similar question about
the A/C - in our apartment, we usually ran the thermostat up to 80 and
down to 74 when returning home (it was a very old apartment). Doing
the same thing in the new house caused the A/C unit to run for almost
12 hours continuously to cool the space down. The A/C people told us
that with the newer, high-efficiency units, they are designed to run
longer and they are smaller in capacity than the old units. Their
recommendation was to leave the thermostat set at a constant
temperature and not monkey around with it. According to them, this is
more efficient and keeps the energy bills to a minimum since high EER
takes longer to take down temps rather than maintain a constant. Hope
this is helpful.

JS