Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Radiosrfun Radiosrfun is offline

Default Service plans for electronics

"Mike S." wrote in message
ups.com...
I'm hoping someone here knows what this means. A product care plan for
a tv I'm considering purchasing for my parents states that it doesn't
cover inherent product defects. What does that mean?

The plan does state that it covers parts and labor costs from failure
due to defects in workmanship and/or materials, normal wear and tear,
dust, heat, humidity, and power surges.

Inherent product defect sounds like it means the tv was built bad, and
in that case, it should be covered.

Just out of curiousity, might you share the brand with us all - so we can be
sure to check into that before buying? Who wants a set which won't be
covered by a warranty for their own problems?

Secondly folks - while on a TV topic, Wal-Mart and other stores are pushing
sets off the shelves "Cheap" in most but not all cases - which are not
designed to do "Digital" signals. The FCC has been citing many for lack of
informing the Consumer to this fact. So - in the case above and in this
case - "watch what you 're buying". IF you buy "these" particular sets - you
may not be able to take them back - due to clearance sale - or they may pull
the same crap as the OP has listed. In this case an Inherent defect - not
"made" to receive said signals. Some people won't know and surely won't be
told this when buying.

A neice of mine bought a set from Kmart - it went bad at the end of one
year. Couldn't find a schematic for it. K-Mart told me the "manufacturer"
went out of business.

Used to be you could buy a set and expect it to work for some time,
warranties no problem, etc. Now days as I see in this post and those of
people buying big screens, etc.... it is all JUNK.