Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Wes[_2_] Wes[_2_] is offline

Default Drilling Through Iron

"Harold and Susan Vordos" wrote:

I'd agree if the material was anything but cast (gray) iron. It needs no
lubrication, and should be discouraged. It makes a horrible mess.

That sure is true. Our cnc's machine cast iron, aluminum, and steel. My
preference for repairing said machines is steel, aluminum, cast iron.

Cast iron with coolant is like carbon black mixed in water and honey. The
only good thing I can say is the chips don't cut my skin.

Aluminum in our processes tends to look a lot like chaff. With the coolant
it sticks to everything, gets through any gap and can give you a ton of
small cuts.

Steel really isn't too bad. Most of it goes down the chip conveyor, doesn't
seem to stick to the machine. Just have to be sure if you kneel down to
look under the machine and rest your hand on the floor there are no curlies
around or it can and will bite.

Wes