Gary Coffman

Default OT - Lawn Tractors & Small farm tractors

On Wed, 14 Apr 2004 03:43:44 GMT, Carl Byrns wrote:
I'd like to know how you arrived at that conclusion.
Toro still builds the 1132 rider (also known as "The Brush Hog"
because it's 32 inch wide blade will slice and dice small trees),
which is an old design, along with the Wheel Horse Classic series-
cast iron axle, electric lift, cruise control, Peerless gearbox- a
real tractor.

Toro also sells some consumer grade crap no better built than
a Sears. I know, I was fool enough to get rid of my 31 year old
Snapper for a 16 hp "Wheel Horse". BTW, the Snapper, an 8 hp
model with a single 30 inch blade, which I gave to a lady friend
of mine, still cuts better, and faster, than the Toro, though I will
admit the Toro has a tighter turning radius.

What I really wanted, and what I should have bought, was a John
Deere 48 inch front deck zero turning radius mower. That's a hoss,
tough, dependable, and able to do things you'd otherwise need a
trim mower to do (I have one up at the farm). A Grasshopper and
a Dixon were also in the running. But I Cheapistaned out and
bought that blasted Toro instead. (Wheel Horse my ass!)

All that venting aside, I agree with Carl that you should buy a
commercial grade mower. Buy it once, keep it forever, you'll be
glad you did. Zero turning radius front deck machines are so far
ahead of tractor style mowers for the average yard that it isn't
even funny. They're so much more nimble you'll get done much
faster, and you can get rid of your trim mower.

Gary