Posted to uk.d-i-y
David Hansen David Hansen is offline

Default Dusk to Dawn Bulbs

On Mon, 30 Jul 2007 22:20:15 +0100 someone who may be "The Medway
Handyman" wrote this:-

Maybe the light sensor is seeing the lamp's own light reflected back
at it, and thinking its daylight. Solution would be to shield the
sensor from the light from the bulb as far as poss.

I've always been puzzled as to how these things work. If their own light
can turn them off, how do they ever turn on? Is it a different wavelength
or something?

Their own light can turn them off if it is reflected back from the
luminaire to the sensor. This can happen with the type of luminaire
that has metal bands around a glass envelope.

I would use a remote sensor if doing this with a table or standard
lamp, which appeared to be what the original question was about.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh