Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking
Lew Hodgett Lew Hodgett is offline

Default gun stock

BumHead wrote:

Friend ask if I could make a replacement stock for an old shotgun. The
old stock is cracked in several places and some small chips are
missing in several places.
I've never made anything like this. Anyone got any tips,
pointers, web sites an any input that will help.

Not a gunsmith, don't even play one on TV, but most gun stocks I'm
familiar with are made from walnut.

I'd probably use boat building techniques as follows:

Remove old stock, then reassemble as much as possible.

Using poster cardboard, make templates of the old gun stock profile at
say 2" intervals.

Now you are ready to go to work removing stock to shape the piece,
using templates to guide you.

When you're close, it is fairing time. Lots of sandpaper, lots of
elbow grease.

You could easily invest 200-300 man hours in a project the way I've
described it.

Maybe there is an easier way.

Lew