Posted to alt.home.repair
Big_Jake Big_Jake is offline

Default horsehair plaster?

On Jul 30, 8:02 pm, "Steve" wrote:
Daughter just bought a 100 yr old home.
The bedroom walls, I'm told, are horsehair plaster.
I got a quick look at one of the walls today while they were Opening a wall
up to connect two bedrooms.
Looks like a 3x3 stud with horizontal lath.sp? About 3/8" of plaster over
the lath.

All the bedrooms were painted over wallpaper.
The paint peels right off of the paper in full sheets.
15 minutes to peel all the paint off the paper.

Now how to deal with the paper???
We've been told removing the paper can damage the plaster...
Son in law asked to borrow my sander to sand it smooth....

Anything special about horsehair plaster I should know ???

I've never seen paint peel off like this did...

What would be the best way to finish/repair these walls???

TIA

Steve

It should be easier to strip the wallpaper off plaster than it would
off drywall. The plaster is much harder, but the bad part is that
plaster tends to develop cracks, and the paper could be holding it
together. Google "plaster washers" to understand what you need to do
to repair the cracks.

I don't know what he wants with the sander?

JK