Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.building.construction,sci.engr.civil,misc.consumers.house
[email protected] nreg97@hotmail.com is offline

Default Drainage problems near foundation.

Happy Trails wrote:
On Sun, 29 Jul 2007 00:06:04 -0700, wrote:

I have questions not answers.

Do you have a full basement or just a foundation below frost level?

Full basement.

Do you get water in the basement?

At one location within the basement the carpet would dampen when the
asphalt depression overflowed with water into the surrounding
soil(suring a heavy rain).

A foundation crack is visible within the proximity of the aforemented
depression, which I recently treated with a waterproof polyeurathane
caulk for sealing concrete.

I then had the idea of applying a pot-hole filler into a small niche
that existed between the pavement and the foundation crack.

Hasn't leaked since.

(I realize that this is not an optimal solution, but the basement wall
is adorned with an oil painting that I would like to preserve if
possible)

Do you have a moisture barrier on the outside wall of the basement
that works?

Not sure, but if the entry point to the foundation crack I observe is
near the surface, I don't know that this would mitigate the seepage.

Do you have drainage tiles/perf pipes around the outside of the
foundation/basement that work?

Not sure.

You now get water above the asphalt that freezes and causes no
structural damage. If you put the water below the asphalt and it
freezes there it will cause damage to the asphalt.

I wonder how pervasive/localized such damage might be.

If it drains, where does it drain to - the same place it's going now?

If you mean the proposed drainage hole, then no - it would be draining
a few feet away from an area where soil meets the foundation(this is
the same area where the foundation crack is visible, and where the
rainwater drains after spilling over from the asphalt depression).

What was the original plan below the subsidence of your driveway -
drain onto your neighbours driveway?

I was planning to lay a drainage pipe in the soil which lines the aft
side of my foundation, and run it either into the garden, or a dry
well(a small one) in my yard.

This would entail digging up quite a few flowers.