Posted to alt.home.repair
gorehound gorehound is offline

Default Isolated ground circuit

"gorehound" wrote in message

"RBM" rbm2(remove wrote in message
Technically, you're not allowed to remark a 12 gauge conductor as you
describe. Why not use a metal box and MC cable which has an insulated
ground conductor. In your particular case, I don't know why 2 conductor
romex w/ground wouldn't be fine. The bare ground is isolated inside the
cable and insulated by the plastic box

"gorehound" wrote in message
I want to run an isolated ground from a sub panel (which does not have
the ground and neutral bonded) to a receptacle for my computer. What is
the proper method. I won't be using a metal box, just a plastic old work
box. I have a book (Black and Decker Complete Guide to Home Wiring
printed in 2001) which shows 14/3 run to the circuit. It has the black to
hot white to neutral red to ground and marked as ground with green tape
which hooks to the ground bar in the panel where it is also marked with
green tape. It shows the bare ground (mind you this is just an
illustration) just floating away from the panel connected to the ground
sign. The other bare ground is just coiled up in the box. This seems
strange to me and I haven't found anything straight forward to show me
exactly what to do. In the 2005 handbook I have it does show an insulated
conductor that goes to the receptacle and the panel for a ground, but
they are also using a metal box and say that the metal box and the emt or
raceway must be grounded too. If I recall all metal boxes and such must
be grounded so it doesn't help me with the plastic box.

Hope I made it clear enough.
TIA
Shane

I figured just plain old 12/2 on it's own circuit should suffice, but I
was stumped when I saw in that book that they used 14/3 and had the red
marked as ground and the bare ground coiled up in the plastic box. I was
trying to figure out if they were using the coiled ground to act as sort
of an antennae to attract any stray RF ore something to that effect. With
that being said, is it still a true isolated ground then if I just use
12/2 w/gnd in a plastic box hooked to the ground bar of the subpanel? Will
the bare copper entering the subpanel after the sheathing is removed make
it act like an antennae?

Thanks
Shane

After giving it some thought I can see why you suggestes MC and a metal box.
This would give me the insulated green conductor and the metal grounded
"jacket" to bond the box and eliminate the want for 12/3 with green tape on
the red wire. I think I'll still go with the 12/2 romex, because it's
cheaper and I have had my computer plugged in to a power strip with ground
pin cut off for so many years that even that would be an upgrade.

Thanks for your help.
Shane

Thanks