Posted to alt.home.repair
gorehound gorehound is offline

Default Isolated ground circuit

I want to run an isolated ground from a sub panel (which does not have the
ground and neutral bonded) to a receptacle for my computer. What is the
proper method. I won't be using a metal box, just a plastic old work box. I
have a book (Black and Decker Complete Guide to Home Wiring printed in 2001)
which shows 14/3 run to the circuit. It has the black to hot white to
neutral red to ground and marked as ground with green tape which hooks to
the ground bar in the panel where it is also marked with green tape. It
shows the bare ground (mind you this is just an illustration) just floating
away from the panel connected to the ground sign. The other bare ground is
just coiled up in the box. This seems strange to me and I haven't found
anything straight forward to show me exactly what to do. In the 2005
handbook I have it does show an insulated conductor that goes to the
receptacle and the panel for a ground, but they are also using a metal box
and say that the metal box and the emt or raceway must be grounded too. If I
recall all metal boxes and such must be grounded so it doesn't help me with
the plastic box.

Hope I made it clear enough.
TIA
Shane