Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default Update to: What could have done this to my vinyl siding?

On Mon, 30 Jul 2007 18:08:34 GMT, (Doug Miller)
wrote:

In article , Oren wrote:
On Mon, 30 Jul 2007 11:25:36 -0500, dpb wrote:

Smitty Two wrote:
My skepticism about the barbecue is that, as others have said, it's a
hell of an unlikely place to park a barbecue. Railing in the way, right
in front of the door.

To "park" it yes...to use it from in the kitchen w/o having to walk so
far; not such a stretch...

http://pics.bbzzdd.com/users/Squisher/IMG_6627.JPG

Look at the bottom piece of vinyl, between the door and railing. That
piece also seems discolored (hard to tell), so I would guess it is not
the grill if the bottom piece is damaged..

All the more reason that I think it's due to the overspray of the stain and
the solvent the OP used to wipe it up.

Has the OP yet told us about damage on the inside of the siding, etc.
How about a picture of it?

The OP has the siding he just removed, and he knows what stains and
solvent he used.

He should try to duplicate the application, including overspray and
exposure to sun, on the undamgage parts of the siding he has removed.
Even if it takes two years. (Did someone say the staining and
cleaning was 2 years ago.)

I think that is the cause, and why it took two years, I don't know.

He could even make an array of test pieces, keeping one away from the
sun, one in it.

And he could increase the amount of stain, the amount of cleaner, and
both, by a factor of 10 or 20 or more. That's how preliminary drug
testing is done, on rats. Then if it shows damage in 3 months instead
of 2 years, most people would think that is how the damage arose.

I have no experience with used tyvek, but nonetheless the damage to
the tyvek seems small, and I can't measure without the siding being
held next to the tyvek, but without that help, it looks close to the
spacing of the siding. Does tyvek never rip on its own accord after
two years, or would it look perfect.