thehatter

Default OT - Lawn Tractors & Small farm tractors

I do agree that Ariens, Toro (some), Cub Cadet, etc. are probably better
than sears, but, Sears isn't all bad and no I'm not a Sears salesman.

I bought my Sears after discussion with my father in law who has been using
the same Sears 11.5 Hp 42" mower yard tractor since 1975. He mows 3.6 acres
of grass once a week and blades snow (northern Ohio) off 400' of driveway as
needed, and he is anal about his lawn.

I bought the 20hp Briggs Vanguard with the big rear wheels, 48" 3 blade,
with a 48" two-stage snowblower. I live in the mountains of NE Oregon we get
about 160" of snow, and I mow 2.5 acres of rough terrain grass. I use and
abuse it, big time. I have been using this Sears for 10 years now, and I am
pleased with the VALUE I have gotten. I have had to do the usual tune-up
change out some bolts, belts, etc. but the only big parts I have had to
replace were the Bearings and driveline for the blower. The original was
made from mild steel, Sears wanted $140 for shaft, bearings and shipping. I
had one made by the local small machine shop out of better steel and I put
better bearings in it for less than $90.

Sure I would rather have a $6K toy but I only had $2800 to spend..

Get the very best that you can afford without selling your soul. Go with a
true "Tractor"style mower (easily detachable attachments), high ground
clearance, Either Vanguard or Kohler engine and I think that they have a
couple of models with the new Kawasaki engines.

I would actually prefer a hydrostatic drive on mine for the snow, but it
was $600 more money that I didn't have. You for sure need the 2peed if you
don't have the Hydro.

Parts are hard part if you need them more than 10yrs down the road, but I
think that's something that is industry wide. It is not in a manufacturers
best interest to sell something with a long life span. We're not dealing
with the same levels of business integrity as our parents did.

BTW, Cub Cadet and Toro, Wheel Horse, etc. aren't the same machines they
were 20 years ago either.

The Old addage "you get what you pay for" is not necessarily so in these
days of corporate greed and bottomlines; comes from bean-counters and
lawyers head up companies as opposed to R&D and people who have their hearts
in quality.

Good Luck,
hatter