Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Drilling Through Iron

On Jul 30, 9:39 pm, TC wrote:
Should I use a
lubricant? How many holes can I make with each bit? (I need a total of
8.) Since the surface isn't flat, do I have to worry about the bit
bending away from my target spot? How long can I expect each hole to
take?

-TC

Any lubricant is better than none in my opinion. A little oil off the
dip stick of you car would work if you don't have any oil on hand. If
you are going to buy some oil the high sulfur stuff for threading pipe
is really good. Automatic transmission fluid is another useful oil.

Use a file on the surface if it is really rough and use a center
punch. If you have problems with the bit skating away from the spot
where you want the hole, use a short small drill to drill a pilot
hole. It will stay in the dent made by the center punch better than
the larger drill. By small I mean about a 1/16th diameter drill.

Dan