Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
John John is offline

Default fixing small backhoe bucket teeth?

Christopher Tidy wrote:

On Jul 30, 4:47 am, John wrote:

Grant Erwin wrote:

I finally got the little bucket from my father-in-law, the one I'm going to
replace the hogged-out pin holes on, and I noticed it's missing one of its four
teeth. The teeth apparently pin onto fingers that extend from a plate. The
missing tooth has been gone for awhile because the finger it slips over is worn
down to a nub.

I'll shoot a picture later.

Anyone know how to fix this?

Grant

IF you run a bucket with a tooth missing you are going to have to
replace both the tooth and the shank / nubb. If the shank gets at all
worn the tooth won't fit right and will fall off while digging. If it
were my machine and not used commercially I would just weld on the tooth
over the shank and forget it. It will be a long time before you wear
out the tooth. You will also save yourself the price of a shank and pin
as well as removing the old shank and putting on a new one. The teeth
are designed to be easily changed in the field by just knocking out the
pin and installing the new tooth and pin.

I would not be inclined to do this unless the bucket really is crap.
It's messy and the teeth don't always stay on. I have an old bucket
on which someone did this, and the welds failed.

Best wishes,

Chris

I guess it all depends on how good of welder you are. Either way will
work. If you got all the tools and are going to be running commercial
digging then go for it. Don't let the guy that did the messy job of
welding teeth on touch your bucket again. Religate him to only be
certified to use superglue.

John