Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default Update to: What could have done this to my vinyl siding?

On Mon, 30 Jul 2007 09:23:18 -0700, Smitty Two
wrote:

Thanks for re-linking that photo. Substantiates my WAG that the sun
caused this. Look at the shadow from the light fixture. Points right
towards the melted area. Could've been the glass in that fixture,
theoretically at least.

Glass, etc. can concentrate light and cause damage, but it is in a
concentrated area. Now the sun moves and that would cause the
damaging rays to move, but the damage does not follow a line. It's a
whole area, pretty broad. I don't think it could be the sun, through
the light fixture or any other bottle etc.

My skepticism about the barbecue is that, as others have said, it's a
hell of an unlikely place to park a barbecue. Railing in the way, right
in front of the door.

The OP says he hasn't moved the barbecue, but I think the barbecue
probably moved itself, damaged the wall, and moved back. Barbecues
are very touchy and they can be very nasty when they are angry.