Posted to alt.home.repair
Pete C. Pete C. is offline

Default Update to: What could have done this to my vinyl siding?

Doug Miller wrote:

In article , "Pete C." wrote:
Dan Espen wrote:

dpb writes:

Doug Miller wrote:
In article , "CraigT"

wrote:
All right, I've been convinced by you guys to open up the wall.
My prediction of what you will find: absolutely nothing wrong.
I still think the cause is what I said the first time: solvent
exposure, either in the form of overspray from staining the deck, or
whatever was used to clean up the overspray.
Before opening up the wall, at least look at the back side of the
siding you removed. If the problem *was* a heat source inside the
wall, then the damage on the back side should be at least as bad as
the damage on the face. OTOH, if there is no (or only slight)
discoloration visible on the back side, that would be the strongest
possible indication that the source of the damage was on the outside
of the house -- with solvent exposure being IMO the most likely
culprit.

I gotta' go w/ PeteC on this mostly...the OP said the solvent/deck was
done in '06 and this damage didn't show up until within the last two
weeks -- that's pretty long incubation time for a solvent to act.

Looks like discoloration to me.

Yes, looking again on a CRT monitor it does look like discoloration.

I assume this means I'll be seeing an apology from you sometime soon?

No, you attacked my analysis before there was any discussion of
discoloration. The discoloration doesn't change the conclusion of that
analysis either. Discoloration doesn't negate the conclusion and the
conclusion is supported by significant other evidence.

Pete C.