Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Christopher Tidy Christopher Tidy is offline

Default fixing small backhoe bucket teeth?

On Jul 30, 4:47 am, John wrote:
Grant Erwin wrote:

I finally got the little bucket from my father-in-law, the one I'm going to
replace the hogged-out pin holes on, and I noticed it's missing one of its four
teeth. The teeth apparently pin onto fingers that extend from a plate. The
missing tooth has been gone for awhile because the finger it slips over is worn
down to a nub.

I'll shoot a picture later.

Anyone know how to fix this?

Grant

IF you run a bucket with a tooth missing you are going to have to
replace both the tooth and the shank / nubb. If the shank gets at all
worn the tooth won't fit right and will fall off while digging. If it
were my machine and not used commercially I would just weld on the tooth
over the shank and forget it. It will be a long time before you wear
out the tooth. You will also save yourself the price of a shank and pin
as well as removing the old shank and putting on a new one. The teeth
are designed to be easily changed in the field by just knocking out the
pin and installing the new tooth and pin.

I would not be inclined to do this unless the bucket really is crap.
It's messy and the teeth don't always stay on. I have an old bucket
on which someone did this, and the welds failed.

Best wishes,

Chris